Banner Flower House has been serving Kokomo in the same location since 1906. We are a locally - female - family owned and operated. We offer same-day delivery for local orders and Sunday delivery for local funeral services.
We pride ourselves on the variety, quality, and selection of products we offer. We carry the largest selection of fresh flowers and plants and serve Kokomo (46901 and 46902), Greentown (46936), Galveston (46932), Tipton (46072), Russiaville (46979), Sharpsville (46068), Peru (46970) and Burlington (46915).
History of Banner Flower House
William and Josephine Bitler acquired the Banner Flower House property in July 1906. Their beginnings were troubled. The title record shows a mechanic's lien foreclosed. Indiana Lumber Company had not been paid for the lumber to build the greenhouse started on the 14th day of July 1906. Bruner Coal Company also laid claim because of monies owed to stoke the furnaces for the greenhouses.
Although the couple managed to mortgage their way through their tough beginnings, divorce proceedings followed in 1914 only to be dismissed and filed again in 1920. The flower house was transferred to Josephine, now a single woman. She kept it only a short time and deeded Banner Flowers to William and Cora Bruner who almost immediately turned the property over, in 1923, to William Wentz and Kathryn Wentz.
Mrs. Wentz ran the greenhouses with the help of an employee, Martha Gerard. Mrs. Wentz seems to be the first to branch into floral design. During this period, there was a barn behind the house, which was for the horses. It had a loft upstairs to store wire contraptions that were used repeatedly, such as, "Gates Ajar", a funeral armature representing Heaven's gates, and Masonic emblems. In 1928, the Wentz's deeded the property to D.N. and Roxie Hoover.
During this era, the floral design aspect of the business seemed to get off the ground and the greenhouses were expanded. The Hoover's ownership collected large tin cans from a local restaurant. They added a handle to the cans and decorated them with crepe paper to use for funeral bouquets. Poultry netting was used to secure the bouquets in place. They grew carnations, snapdragons, stock, mums, and poinsettias in the greenhouses.
To dial Banner Flower House, you had to ring "2". After World War II, Mr. and Mrs. hoover turned ownership over to their sons, David and Rex. This generation of Hoovers ushered their floral business into the Computer Age. Upon Hoover's retirement, in September 1995, the business was sold to Janice Quakenbush Lagzdins and her daughters Michelle Herr and Debra Archer. A new building, constructed in 2001, sets on the original site. It is now a state-of-the-art retail florist with 10 employees and 3 delivery vans.
A new building was constructed in 2001 and is located on the original site. It is now a state-of-the-art retail florist with 10 employees and 2 delivery vans. A new Banner family, from Grandma to Grandchildren, proudly serving Kokomo into its next century. Banner Flower House has been voted "Best Place to Buy a Bouquet" by Kokomo Tribune.